Forum

Questions and discussions

Amazon S3 Storage: Needs serious work....

At Rackspace clouds hosting and Amazon S3

Amazon S3 Storage: Needs serious work....

Postby Spectral » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I actually cannot recommend the Amazon S3 implementation of the script. It is not very well thought and done. Some critics:

- The implementation simply does not work on many servers. Many need to use a workaround with the wget command in the CRON Job. Otherwise the CRON Job just fails.
Please see this thread for further information: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=642

- You lose all the google image searches since the image files are hosted on the s3.amazonaws.com domain instead of yoursite.com. Not very good for a image agency ;-/ There would be a possibility to configure a CNAME redirect to a Amazon bucket BUT the buckets name MUST be the same name as the subdomain you intent to use. Sadly, Antons script is adding "-files", "-previews", etc. to the end of each bucket automatically which renders this workaround useless. Big fail! Not very well thought through.

- There is NO possibility to move the files back from S3 to a local server or another Service. You are tight forever to your current cloud provider or you lose your whole Library. Fail! What happens if the service is discontinued? If you need to switch for whatever reason?
I for my part may have to upload thousands of images by hand because of this!

- The suitable Product for this kind of script is NOT S3 from amazon, but Amazon Cloudfront. S3 is made for personal Cloud hosting of files, not for distributed cloud hosting of files for the public or the web. Although it can be used and is used for web hosting sometimes you lose some advantages of Cloudfront like the faster transfer rates etc.

I hope at least some of the issues are getting resolved....
Spectral

Re: Amazon S3 Storage: Needs serious work....

Postby admin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:27 pm

The implementation simply does not work on many servers. Many need to use a workaround with the wget command in the CRON Job. Otherwise the CRON Job just fails.

You should not run a cron task as php file because in this case many server's variables are unavailable. The server doesn't consider the cron script as a part of the site. It causes problems sometimes.

I recommend to use the command:
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/lynx -source http://yourdomain.com/members/cron_amazon.php

In this case the server pings URL - not php file.

You lose all the google image searches since the image files are hosted on the s3.amazonaws.com

I would like to listen more feedbacks/opinions about the issue.
There is other opinions:
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/017129.html

I think you lost your photos in Google temporarily because the image's URLs were changed.

There is NO possibility to move the files back from S3

I don't think that the service will be asked-for frequently.

Fail! What happens if the service is discontinued? If you need to switch for whatever reason?

Amazon S3 and Rackspace are 2 world-wide leaders. I think the probability that your hosting provider will be discontinued is higher in the millions times.

The suitable Product for this kind of script is NOT S3 from amazon, but Amazon Cloudfront.

We integrated Amazon S3 and Rackspace to allow you to store your file's archive remotely.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Spectral » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks Anton for the reply...

I already replaced the line of the Cron Job....still gotta test it. Thanks for the hint!

Before switching to Amazon S3 I had a nice list of search hits from Google. 6 Weeks after switching I have 0 (zero) hits from Google.
Maybe the point is that Google cannot associate the images with your domain directly. Google does index the Amazonaws domain, but it doesn`t connect the files too well with your domain then.
I think it would be great to have the ability to link the CNAME entry since it would only require like two lines of changing of code (the Bucket naming). Maybe in future updates...

Thanks alot!
Spectral

Postby Spectral » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Some experience with the same Problem...

http://www.starkui.com/2011/10/seo-usin ... th-images/
Spectral

Return to Remote file storage